Thursday, January 8, 2015

Art Journal Flowers with Inklingz

Hello and Happy Thursday!

Tina Walker here today with a new project - Art Journaling with Inklingz and your favorite stencil (or two).

Art Journaling is a favorite way to experiment and play with new techniques and products.  I recently purchased several new stencils and couldn't wait to play with them.  One of the easiest ways to use stencils, is to use them as a guide for painting.  I love this techinque and I thought I'd show you a short tutorial on how I created this Art Journal page.


Using water color paper, I primed my surface with a thin layer of white gesso.  Once the gesso was dry, I randomly painted the background with 3 colors of Inklingz.



Once the Inklingz had dried, I sketched 2 flower shapes using a stencil as a guide. 



You notice that I didn't include all aspects of the stencil.  Only the portion I wanted to add to my page.  You can customize your designs by using the same stencil in varying ways, or multiple stencils to sketch your background.  This is perfect for those who don't feel comfortable with their drawing skills (like me)

Using coordinating, but darker shades of Inklingz, I painted each flower, not worrying about staying 'inside the lines'.  :)


To make my flowers POP from the page, I outlined each with a Stabilo All pencil, then watered it with a paintbrush and water.


For some contrast, I outlined each petal with a white pen.


I finished my Art Journal page with a hand drawn sentiment and a bit of machine stitching for texture.  Super easy!  And a technique that can be used over and over again!

Thank you for stopping by!  Have a wonderful day!

(p.s. Inspired by my project?  Place an order with Shimmerz and mention my name in the 'Instructions to Merchant' section and receive FREE product)



1 comment:

Kathy Bradley said...

Very pretty and unique.